Sunday, June 23, 2013

Nook HD + Better then the Nexus 7?

  
Nook HD + Better then the Nexus 7?

  You may have noticed the  Nook HD + is only $149 and you may be wondering if it is any good for anything more then reading books and magazines.    I wondered the same thing and for $149 it seemed like a good choice to replace my recently sat on Nexus 7.

The Nook HD+

  •  I got the 9" 16gb Nook HD+ and first thing I noticed was the feel holding it was easy with the glass not going to the edge like most tablets it felt more holdable (if that is even a word).    The size is just right for reading and the screen is crisp, clear at 1920 x 1280 pixel resolution.  Bootup was quick and setup was easy only a few steps if you already have a nook account.   The little ring in the corner gave it the unique look that it has and it just seems a robust device.

Google Play Store

·         I am pretty vested in the Google Play stor so one of the things I needed was that it had the Play store upon bootup thanks to the last update it has it installed no rooting needed(So most app are available).   Now you still would have to root it if you want to install 3rd party apps but this is a big step for B&N.

Expandable Memory

·         The first thing I did after booting it was pop in my 32gb memory card with all my movies and books on it.  Instantly I remembered how I loved having the option to expand my memory by just sliding in a new memory card.  This has to be the one thing I think most tablets are missing.  

The Nook Home screen

·         I would have to say I did not like the Nook Launcher it just is not my type.  So I hopped on the Play Store and installed the my fav Launcher.

The Gameplay

·         I like my games and I like them a lot.  I was very interested how well they would play so I downloaded many games.  Games like Minecraft, Jetpack Joyride run as good as the nexus and with the bigger screen it was that much better.   More graphic intensive games like Shadow gun, GTA3, Max Pain, Modern War 3, Dead Trigger and Contract Killer 2 ran smooth and played well (I used a Bluetooth controller from gamestop) the games had little to NO lag.  Some games like GTA3 I had to set view distance down a little but the game still was wonderful.  Since all my movies are on my SD I can get just as many games on a 16gb Nook as my 32gb Nexus 7.

Battery Life

·         I can have watched 7 episodes of SGU and still had betties left to check email and YouTube.  I can go all day with regular web browsing and not have to recharge.   Well gaming I have gamed 6 hours with Bluetooth on and being used.  So battery life is good.

What is it missing

·         I know the Nook is missing stuff 
o    No GPS
o    No Camera
o    Some games are not available (Anything that is Android 4.1 or later)
·         Of what it is missing never really used any of that on my nexus (except a few games)

What it Has

·         It also has some things not found in Nexus
o    Expandable Memory
o    Full 1080p HD screen
o    HDMI out through a Dongle
·         I used the HDMI out about 20 times since I got my Nook 2 weeks ago.  The expandable memory speaks for it self I have one 32gb card and a 16gb card one is my stuff one my daughters this will forever be a deal braker for me from now on.  The full HD screen is so clear even better then the IPAD 2 as good as the IPAD3.

All in all I don’t miss my Nexus 7.   With my Nook HD+  I spend even less time on my laptop or desktop then with the Nexus and I love the feel holding it and taking it with me throughout the day without any worries.
Checkout my other blogs and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment